This week marked seven years in Toronto. And seven years of this blog! Which is obviously still a huge priority for me (not! So sorry blog…). To celebrate this anniversary, I thought I’d share some of the biggest highlights of the last seven years. At least the ones I remember. So here it goes:
- August 15, 2010 – I packed up my VW Beetle and traveled to younger sister’s place in Ajax. The very next day I started my first job in Toronto. I’m a broken record, but I still believe moving here was one of the best decisions I ever made. I lived in my sister’s guest room for one month.
- September 2010 – I moved into my first place in the city. It was a two bedroom apartment in East York and I had a roommate. I didn’t love it. But it was in Toronto! Also in September, older sister got married! And I said goodbye to my VW Beetle… well not really goodbye. I gave the keys to my dad and he’s been driving Chester ever since. Chester is now on it’s last legs and will be donated to charity very soon.
- December 2010 – I started online dating… I was too nervous to try it when I lived in London, but when I moved to Toronto I figured I had nothing to lose. I started with e-Harmony and over the years tried it several times along with OK Cupid, Match.com, speed dating, Meet Market Adventures, blind dates and finally Tinder. Fun fact – my friend who joined e-Harmony with me back in 2010 met her future husband right away. They got married in 2013 and just welcomed their second child last week. It took me a little longer to find love.
- June 2011 – I moved into my own apartment in midtown and I stayed there for almost five years. Even though it was a basement apartment with very little sunshine, the occasional flood and creepy centipedes, I loved my place. I had three closets all to myself!
- July 2011 – I left my first Toronto job (which I did not like) and started a new job (which I really liked). I stayed at this job for 3 and ½ years.
- March 2012 – My mom was diagnosed with cancer. She had a couple of surgeries and then a bunch of chemo and was cancer-free by the end of the summer. It’s been five years and she’s doing great! Still annoying the crap out of me… I love you Mama!
- August 2012 – Younger sister’s wedding kicked off the “year of the wedding”. Bf’s wedding followed a week later, then two more friends in September and finally my other bf’s wedding in October. It was a very expensive year for me. But also a lovely year. I had a lot of fun.
- May 2013 – I turned 30 and I went to Europe for the first time!
- June 2013 – My niece was born!
- October 2013 – Lola and I were reunited!
- March 2014 – I met my future husband (on Tinder) and I finally paid off my student loans. I’m happy to report that I have been debt-free ever since! I’ll try to remember this feeling of freedom after I buy a house in Toronto and I am in debt for the rest of my life.
- August 2014 – I went to Europe again! This time with a handsome traveling companion ;).
- February 2015 – I left my good job for what seemed like an exciting step up. It wasn’t. I spent much of 2015 complaining about my new job. And gaining weight. Good year!
- August 2015 – I went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando and I got a wand!
- January 2016 – I left the job that made me miserable and a week later started my favourite job. I’m still here! Also, we went to Mexico. It was pretty fun.
- February 2016 – Andrew and I officially moved in together. We moved out of our separate places and found a palace in the sky! It’s not really a palace, but it’s a pretty nice place that we love and it’s on the 42nd floor. It’s also downtown and within walking distance of my office. We still live there.
- January 2017 – I started the web development bootcamp at HackerYou. This was something I’d wanted to do for a while. It was nine weeks of intense learning and coding and I graduated in March. One of the best decisions I ever made.
- May 2017 – On my birthday, Andrew asked me to marry him! I said yes of course. I can’t recommend enough having a big, fun life event or kick-ass trip planned for your birthday. That way, if you are scared of the age (like say mid-30s… 34), you are still excited for your birthday.
- June 2017 – My nephew was born!
- August 2017 – My seven year anniversary with Toronto and my wedding… I’m getting married next week!
It’s really hard to believe it’s been seven years since I moved here. Like I’m only 25, so how is it possible? But a wonderful seven years it has been!